Thursday, July 19, 2012

XVI - Genesis 29 - Jacob Wakes Up

Genesis 28 is a very important chapter, and will probably be all that's covered in this post.

Indeed few are the men who have made a mark for God who have not first been broken by God.  Jacob was no exception. If you have little sympathy or respect for Jacob at this point in our study, those thoughts will begin to mellow somewhat while covering the next few chapters.  God was harsh with Jacob.  I think He had to be.  He had to refine away the old cheating nature that always looked for shortcuts to success.  If not, Jacob would never have been of the proper caliber of man to become Israel. 

God needed this man alone where there were no resources with which Jacob could use to rely on himself.  Therefore, God sent him from his comfy abode in Beersheba with his coddling mother, to Padan-aram to be at the mercy of his uncle Laben.  Padan-aram was in the area where Syria is today.  The town of Haran was just northeast of modern day Damascus. 

Note in vs 1 that Isaac called for Jacob to wo he could repeat the blessing {Comment:  Isaac was a man of God.  Although he probably didn't like the way he was tricked by Jacob any more than you or I do, Isaac KNEW that Jacob was God's chosen (Gen 25)}  But again the Scripture seems to emphasize Isaac and Rebekah's insistance that he not take a Canaanite woman as his wife.  Padan-aram where Bethuel and Laben lived had a rich concentration of Hebrews.  Jacob's choice for a wife being so important to Isaac, he make a good choice for the location for Jacob to live.  The family of
Rebekah were descendents of Aram, a descendent of Noah's son Shem.  (you cannot be expected to remember all these things which is the reason I stick in these reminders.  God is consistant with His plans)

Vss 3-5 re-states the lavish blessing Isaac bestows upon Jacob as parting words for him as he begins his arduous journey.  Vss 6-9 is interesting about the frustrated Esau.  Esau evidently was not present to see his brother off, but he heard about how Isaac warned Jacob not to marry a Canaanite woman.  Realizing that Esau's mistake in his choice of wives really upset his parents, and being desparatThis time to a daugher of Ishmael, which was just as bad as marrying a Hittite.  Esau just doesn't get it.

 Vs 10 -->  Back to Jacob.  Jacob's journey from southern Palistine to northern Syria took him through Bethel, which is a good thing.  Remember Bethel?  Abraham had worshipped at Bethel when he was travelling from Haran.  He worshipped there again after he returned to Canaan from Egypt.  Bethel (formally named Luz) was located about 15 mile north of modern day Jerusalem.    I'm not certain whether or not Jacob was aware of how special this place has been.  I doubt it. 

Let's not disregard Jacob's state of mind at this point.  By this time it has dawned on Jacob of just how badly his life had become compared to what is what just a few days ago.  Just take a moment to consider Jacob's sweet life of Riley then, and a fugitive in a strange land now.  Anyway, he was probably in the lowest valley of his life right now.

Vs  11 (he's in Bethel) he takes a stone to use as a pillow (I guess this was not an uncommon practice back then, but I'll bet he did not use a stone for a pillow when he was living with Isaac and Rebekah).  Vs 12 - He had a dream.  A very vivid dream.  There was a stairway from earth to heaven.  Angels were going up and down on this stairway.  At the top stood God.  This is an easy sight to invision. 

When I picture the angels going up and down, I always considered the ones going up as carrying our prayers and concerns to God, while the angels going down are carrying
God's provisions and His messages down to His people on earth.  I am comforted when I picture one of the angels carrying a scroll with one of my prayer requests written on it along with my name.  The angel is carrying it with special care because the angel knows how special it is to me and ultimately special to God.    This might not do anything for you, but try to picture this the next time you pray for God's intercession.  It just might give you an indescribable comfort.  I hope so.}  

Vss 13-15 - At the top of the ladder stands God Himself.  God repeats the promise to Jacob, and
adds that He will not allow anything to happen to Jacob until all these things are accomplished.

Vss 16 -->  When Jacob woke up he had a sobering realization.  God was real.  The covenant was real.  God knows all and sees all.  Jacob has been a terrible sinner and God knew it.  Jacob had been jolted into a spiritual awakening much like Isaiah (Isa. 6:1-8).  Suddenly Jacob felt a deep reverance and awareness of God plus deep remorse for his own life practices.  He said "this is the gate of heaven".  Interesting. 

In vs 18 Jacob takes the stone he used for a pillow and made an altar.  Then he named the place Bethel.  Bethel was the name Moses had been using for this location, but it was not named Bethel until now.  Bethel means "house of God". 

Then Jacob makes a vow in vs 20.  This vow can be misunderstood if we're not careful.  Jacob starts with "if", and proceeds with "then".  This wording is used in KJV also.  It can seem conditional by this verbage, but that would not be correct.  God doesn't make deals.  I believe that this is a firm commitment to God from Jacob, with intentions of living his life from this point forward as a Godly man, placing God's interests before his own.  I believe that when we become born again believers, it is a result of a consious decision we make in the presence of God.  I will expound on this in much more detail as we proceed through God's word, both Old Testament and New Testament.    I think I have an understanding of what Jacob was saying.  I probably shouldn't attempt to give a hypothetic example in writing, but I shall try briefly.  - - - - A man says to me, "I'm going to give you this lawn mower and some gasoline, and I want you to cut the grass growing on this acre of ground"  I respond by saying, "IF you give me the lawn mower and the gas, THEN I'll darn sure cut this grass".  That probably isn't a good example but it's all I could think of.

The last phrase of this chapter Jacob said he would give God a tenth (tithe).  This is the second mentioning of  tithing.  The first was in Gen. 14:20 when Abraham was with Melchizadek.

To briefly conclude, Jacob at this time was not a mature saint, but rather a weak man on his way to
conversion.  It's not too early to mention that 20 years later beside the River Jabbok, this master manipulater would become a prince in God's sight.  Bethel was a beginning.  Jacob would never forget it.  He would return to Bethel to worship with his family many years in the future.  This place was special to Jacob.  Places are special to people then and now.  Think of a few places that are special to you.  Two places are special to me.  One is Adam Sreet in downtown Fairmont, WV where I first saw my wife.  Another special place is Suffolk, Virginia where my two children
were born.  I could name others.

Next post  -  Israel is born                   

1 comment:

  1. I am guessing that Adam Street has something to do with my name. Just a guess.

    One of my favorite places is on the top of War Memorial Chapel on the Virginia Tech campus. That is where I proposed to Ashley. Another one of my favorite places is at Fort Walton Beach in Florida on the porch of the condo where I can look out onto the ocean. I feel so small looking out over the ocean. There seems to be no end to it.

    ReplyDelete